Monday 28 January 2013

The Internet Before the Web: Preserving Early Networked Cultures

http://www.newmuseum.org/calendar/view/the-internet-before-the-web-preserving-early-networked-cultures

This Event at the New Museum in Nyork marks the first in a series of talks about the art / technology frontier entitled Rhizome: New Silent. It's not obvious if its got an online component, but it would seem doh not to. Btw, rhizome.org is a venerable resource for online artists.

I remember the Internet before graphics, the bbs and unix networks. 1993, The Word, university.

Event ;
my father took me to the Lab, logged me on to play "Adventure", read messages from scientists, told me how the first message on the proto-net was "who left the spanner in the Parking lot?" not realising that everyone in the global scientific community was picking it up.

He wants to tell his story, despite or because of his Parkinson's; of how he & his team helped liberate the Internet from oppressive corporate clutches, in the 80s when no-one except a handful of people realised its potential.

I'm going to do my best to include some of those stories on here, or in a conjoined blog, under the title "Tales from the Telecommunications Frontier" ( or something like that! )

No comments:

Post a Comment